How to Regulate Your Child's Emotions with Alyssa Campbell and Bryana Kappa
Two powerhouses in early childhood development, Alyssa Cambell, CEO of Seed and Sew and host of the amazing podcast Voices of Your Village and Bryana Kappa, LMFT and Infant Mental Health Specialist from South Bay Mommy and Me teamed up to chat all things self-regulation and emotional processing.
Alyssa has a masters of education in early childhood and is a leading expert in emotional development, who has been featured as an emotional development expert in publications as The Washington Post, Kids VT, and Family Education.
Alyssa is deeply passionate about building emotional intelligence in children with the belief that it’s never too early to start. Her approach welcomes people into her village to get support at all ages and stages- shame-free.
Bryana is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with a private practice in Redondo Beach, CA. She’s endorsed as an Infant-Family Early Childhood Mental Health Specialist by the California Center for Early Childhood Mental Health.
She owns and operates South Bay Mommy and Me, a center for moms and babies from birth-24 months.
The Unspoken Topic
- You cannot regulate your children’s emotions without first regulating your own.
What We Cover
- What is self-regulation and how to accomplish it.
- How to identify your triggers so you know how to manage them.
- Why you need to let your children express their feelings.
Take a Listen >>
- Before you can regulate, you need to have awareness around what you are even feeling.
- The real work is understanding how you are being triggered and learning to move that emotion. And that requires work, processing, grace and understanding.
- As a parent, you are still allowed to have all your feelings but can you be grounded in your body right now?
- Co-regulation is a huge part of the process. When your child throws themselves onto the floor during a tantrum with high cortisol, our body mirrors that rise of hormones and it’s our job to regulate those hormones and emotions to help bring them down.
How to Learn a Self-Regulation Coping Mechanism to Teach Your Child
- First, understand that this is going to take trial and error and give you and your child grace. It can take a while to regulate.
- Take yourself out of fight or flight by tapping into your body and grounding it.
- Attune and align yourself to see the moment through your child’s point of view to achieve empathy, connection or compassion for them
- Understand WHAT your child is feeling rather than WHY they are feeling. And then connect to that emotion.
- Use “I FEEL” statement when we look at your own emotions and when sharing them with your partner. Own your emotions and own your crap!
Alyssa and Bryana’s Gifts For You
Who can’t use some emotion coaching and self-regulation hacks?! Let’s be real, this is one of the most incredible gifts our guests have ever offered. Be sure to grab it!
Freebies From Us
- Join our Facebook Community
- If you’re living in Tantrumville with your toddler, you definitely need the Top 5 Tips to Hitting The Pause Button on Temper Tantrum
- Download our FREE Worried Mama’s Guide to Baby Milestones
- FREE Masterclass on getting rid of mom guilt when it coems to your finances.
- Learn to become an even more mindful mama without having to go to a yoga class or spend 30 minutes meditating with this free guide.