How to Be a Successful Foster Parent with Crystal Pettit
Crystal is the Mom of Crazy Pieces. She started a YoutUbe channel to document and share their journey with foster care and adoption. They have 3 biological and 8 adopted children. They often forget who is biological and who is adopted because they are all their children.
Blood doesn’t make them a family- love does and that is something they live by.
Parenting this large of a family isn’t always easy, but it is worth it. It’s always crazy in their household though, and that is why they are called Crazy Pieces!
The Unspoken Topic
- Family isn’t always blood. It’s the love that bonds you. Anyone can be family. Affectionate and the memories you make is what matters.
What We Cover
- Her journey through the foster care system.
- How her husband went okay from wanting 2 children to ending up with 11.
- How to keep your relationship alive with all these kids!
Take a Listen >>
- When you join the foster care roster, it’s hard to say no when you get a call.
- Originally, Crystal wanted 4 children and her husband wanted 2. They ended up with 11!
- The older kids are sometimes the best kids because many of them don’t get adopted, and so they are grateful to have found their “forever home.”
- Sometimes it takes a few days and others a few months for the foster kids to be able to call you mom and dad.
- Crystal tells every child, “I’ll love you know matter how you act.”
- Her sister joined her in the adoption route, but her goal was to keep siblings together. She’s ended up with 22 kids!
- Budgeting is the key to making the household work.
- Always have an open mind. Sometimes the journey isn’t what you think.
How Her Relationship Changed After Kids
- Her and her husband have to be more creative with their dates. They have home dates, he cooks nice dinners. This is the key to strengthen the relationship.
What Are You Doing Differently In Parenting Your Children Than How You Were Raised
- Open communication with her children so they are able to talk about the big things
Most Excited About
- Being a surrogate!
Mama Has a Minute
- Favorite form of self-care: Eating candy in the closet
- Best parenting advice ever received: Keep open communication with your kids and be approachable.
- Share your favorite parenting hack: Make hello and goodby a big deal.
- Recommend one product your children cannot live without: Electronics.
- Share your favorite book and why: The Love and Logics Series because it takes a fun approach to parenting.
- What motherhood means to you: Motherhood is the best thing in the world and the best thing she has ever done.
Freebies From Us
- Join our Facebook Community
- If you’re living in Tantrumville with your toddler, you definitely need the Top 5 Tips to Hitting The Pause Button on Temper Tantrum
- Download our FREE Worried Mama’s Guide to Baby Milestones
- FREE Masterclass on getting rid of mom guilt when it coems to your finances.
- Learn to become an even more mindful mama without having to go to a yoga class or spend 30 minutes meditating with this free guide.