Self-Compassion: We Give It To Our Kids But Not Ourselves with Dr. Laura Froyen
Laura Froyen has her PhD in Human Development and Family Studies with a specialization in Couple and Family Therapy. Laura combines trauma-informed practices with the latest in child development research to help families find more peace, calm and connection. She teaches conscious parenting and communication with heaping doses of grace and compassion through her podcast, The Balanced Parent and her courses and programs.
The Unspoken Topic
- Parents are learning to be more respectful and mindful in their parenting, but they are not practicing it with themselves. If we want to make lasting changes in how we show up for our children, we must make those changes in how we show up for ourselves.
What We Cover
- What stops us from being compassionate with ourselves.
- The benefits of shifting to self-compassion.
- What steps to take to be more self-compassionate starting immediately.
Take a Listen >>
- Be kind to yourself. It’s okay for your growth to take time.
- We don’t think we are worthy of grace and compassion. We can look at our kids and see that they are learning and deserving of grace and compassion. Our deservingness doesn’t go away as adults.
How to Practicing Self-Compassion
STEP ONE: Get curious. Start breaking the neutral pathways of old punitive thoughts.
STEP TWO: Set aside 5 minutes to practice a self-compassion meditation and affirmation.
STEP THREE: Remind yourself of common humanity. You are not unique. Just like everyone else, you make mistakes, you have pain. And just like everyone else, you are worthy of compassion.
One Thing Doing Differently Than Your Parents
- She is not using timeouts. And she is not afraid to reconsider something if she was wrong or if she changes her mind. She is more collaborative. The whole range of emotions are welcomed in her home.
How Her and Her Partner Resolve Conflict
- They value each other’s perspectives and they realize they are both different. Even when they don’t agree, they remain kind. It’s definitely a work in progress.
Most Excited About
- Summer time!
Laura’s Gift For You
What a generous gift! To grab it. Just type in your name and email address and we’ll send it right over. You’ll be joining our mailing list, as well as our guest’s list so you can receive even more goodies!
Mama Has a Minute
- Favorite form of self-care: Watercolor painting.
- Best parenting advice ever received: No kid wants to do poorly.
- Parenting Hack: Keeps socks in a bin by the door.
- Product Child cannot live without: fresh air.
- Share 1 book: The Rabbit Listened.
- What motherhood means to you: Motherhood is her heart, soul and career. She takes it personally and professionally. It’s the best thing she’s ever done and the hardest.
Freebies From Us at Raising Children You Like
- Join our Facebook Community
- If you’re looking for a more peaceful home, get the 5 Tips to Pause a Tantrum.
- Download The 5 Screen Time Mistakes if you’re looking to maximize screen time with your tot.
- Join The FREE Masterclass on learning to stay present and unruffled during your child’s tantrum with these 3 Secrets.
Our Partnership With Inner.U
- Inner.U is the secret sauce to getting yourself unstuck and thriving where it matters most. The owner’s manual for your entire life. This online coaching course gives you the tools to get yourself honestly and deeply happy where it matters most to you: your relationships to your SELF, BODY, MONEY, TIME, and more. Signing up today gets you a lifetime access to a ton of coaching worth thousands of dollars, including a private coaching session with an HG Coach, group masterclasses and access to Q&A recordings all to keep you happy and inspired. Go to inner.u and enter the code NOTYOURMOTHER75