How to Identify and Support Children With Dyslexia with Nicole Holcomb
Nicole is an attorney with a background in education (teacher, school counselor and district administrator.) She hosts a podcast called Dyslexia Mom life where she educates and inspires moms raising children with dyslexia.
The Unspoken Topic
- Many people don’t have awareness and clarity around what it means to be dyslexic and how to support it. You can’t take action if you are not aware of what to look for.
What We Cover
- The markers to look for to see if your child is dyslexic.
- How to best support a child’s learning ability.
- Where to find support with other moms raising children with dyslexia.
Take a Listen >>
- Dyslexia can be hereditary.
- Dyslexia can range in severity.
- You are not alone. There are moms to help support you on your journey.
- Dyslexic children are very bright. Embrace their differences and see how much they thrive.
How to Support Your Child If You Think They Have Dyslexia
STEP ONE: Have a family environment that supports time for language.
- Spend time at home reading.
- 20 minutes is a good amount of time.
- If you read for 20 minutes a day, your child will be exposed to 1.8 million words a year.
- If you read for 4-5 minutes a day, your child will be exposed to 282,000 words a year.
- Narrate what you are doing together.
- Ask open-ended questions.
- Ask your child for their opinion on things.
- Never stop learning and building awareness around what to look for and how to support your child.
Nicole’s Gift For You
Oooh this gift is so so so amazing!
Mama Has a Minute
- Favorite form of self-care: Walking and getting outside.
- Best parenting advice ever received: Sleep when they sleep.
- Parenting Hack: Get things ready the night before.
- Product Child cannot live without: Mine craft.
- Share 1 book: The Fringe Hours.
- What motherhood means to you: Motherhood means leading with compassion. It’s an amazing gift. I have the opportunity to make an impact on my child and my future.
Freebies From Us at Raising Children You Like
- Join our Facebook Community
- If you’re looking for a more peaceful home, get the 5 Tips to Pause a Tantrum.
- Download The 5 Screen Time Mistakess if you’re looking to maximize screen time with your tot.
- Join The FREE Masterclass on learning to stay present and unruffled during your child’s tantrum with these 3 Secrets.